Monday, January 12, 2009

FS 1st Anniversary



I should have waited until after dinner to stop by Flying Saucer, who were celebrating their first year anniversary.

The place was a madhouse. Packed. Flying Saucer sucks when it's packed. It's actually a pretty nice place when it's a bit emptier. It seems to only fill up with loud, obnoxious drunks. Maybe I am just getting old. It does make it hard to enjoy a pint. I am sure the crowd would have been the same or worse after dinner, but they might of actually had the beers I wanted on offer. The "special" beers of the night were being tapped on an hourly schedule. I was really looking forward to having the 2007 SN Bigfoot. Alas, the barley wine was not on until 9pm, three hours from the current time. The bartender said the Piraat IPA would be on in ten minutes. I had a SN Anniversary Ale ($1!) to keep me busy until then. My wife, pregnant, had a lemonade. Sorry Sofia. Could not find a seat to save our lives. Time passed. Went for the Piraat. Nope. Not until 7pm. Barbar Winter Bok was actually the latest beer to open up. Had never had it, so I went for it. Decent, it had a very distinct hard candy flavor which I could not place (does that make sense?). It became to cloying, but I managed to tough it out and finish my chalice. By this time we were more than ready to head out for quieter settings.

We did not hear any of the music. Over the entire night they had some interesting beers. The Anniversary ale was a stupendous deal. Sure it was crowded, but all in all a good event. If it were a touch warmer there probably would have been more people outside and I would not be sounding like such an old curmudgeon.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Too bad we didn't recognize each other – I was there at the same time, about 5:30-7:30. I thought that Barbar Winter Bok was excellent.