Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thirsty Thursday #16



Kona Pipeline Porter
by Kona Brewing Co., Kona, HI
Style: American Porter
ABV: 5.40%

I gotta say this beer surprised me. I was not expecting much. When Kona first made a splash on the Austin scene I had my reservations. Without hearing any rumblings in the beer underworld, all of sudden every supermarket in town had huge displays of Kona Brewing's offerings. It seemed a bit fishy to me. And it made me wary of their beers. Why had I not heard about this earlier? Just who is pushing these beers on us? .... You know what I am saying?

So I held out, until I saw this beer. I am willing to try any beer and coffee concoction. But coffee beers, coffee porters specifically have not always met my expectations.

This one was different. Kona did the roasted coffee aromas and flavors very well, subtle, not too over the top. If you like coffee, get this beer. If you like beer, get this beer. If you don't like beer or coffee, I feel sorry for you.

Oh, I just had apple pie with ice cream and this went great with it. Try it.

No comments: