Monday, January 19, 2009

Twitter Taste Recap



Saturday was the Twitter Taste LIVE Beer!: Introduction to Trappist Ales. It went well I guess. I enjoyed it. It was interesting to share ideas and impressions of beer across the country, live. Though, I do not know if Twitter is the best forum for such an event. It took place as if we were chatting, but my other "twitter followers" who were not participating were getting inundated with hundreds of, to them, incoherent ramblings about beer, possibly. And I don't have that many followers. AND I was not really saying all that much, imagine the followers of the people who were chiming in every half second.

This is what some other peops thought:

Good Beer Blog:
Was it perfect? No. But within minutes of the Twitter Taste Live starting I was emailing Jay about how this needs to be integrated into each month's edition of The Session. It was, as I said, like being at a beer fest, the crowd moving around you. It is not like a quiet seat in a pub not like the lecture hall feel of an organized tasting. It was not exquisite like a food and beer pairing. All of these experiences are valid and they are different. Sitting in the family rec room on the computer as kids run around and sports are on the TV will not replicate them all. But it will mirror some aspects of those things and create new ways of thinking about what conviviality means in relation to craft beer.
ChipperDave:
There is also the anti-social aspect of using computers as a replacement for meeting up with people face to face. While Twitter will never replace the need to have actual encounters in person, it can help get you "out" there when traveling around just isn't in your interests for that point in time. I'm not advocating that we all turn into cave dwellers and drink "alone", but for those times that when all of your "friends" that you want to mingle with are scattered across the globe, Twitter at least gives you a chance to touch base and share a virtual drink.
Beer Babe:
One of my favorite things to do when at a bar or brewpub is to slide a glass around the table saying "ooh, try this!!" So to have a time when, across many different locations, people are all discussing the same bottle of beer, there are opportunities for great insights. I got great suggestions for foods to pair with the beer, other beers that I would enjoy if I was enjoying that particular beer.

No comments: