Monday, February 9, 2009

Austin BA Tastin - FEB 09

Yesterday was the Austin BA monthly tasting. The List:

Oude Gueze Vielle Oud Beersel
Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale
Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit Saison Ale
Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien Swiss Ale de Garde 2007
Capital Brewing Autumnal Fire Doppelbock
Avery Fourteen
Pisgah Valdez Stout
Marin Star Brew Triple Wheat Ale
Ommegang Ommegeddon
Laurelwood Moose and Squirrel RIS
HaandBryggeriet Haandbakk
Bell's Expedition Stout RIS
Allagash/DeProef Signature Les Deux Brasseurs
Jolly Pumpkin La Roja Amber
Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabeza batch 342
Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale
Dogfish Head Red & White early 2008
Freetail Exxxtra Pale Ale(my contribution)
Hemel Nieuw Ligt
Avery The Czar RIS 2004
Alaska Barleywine 2007
Deschutes The Abyss 2008
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra 2007
Three Floyds Behemoth Barleywine 2007
Lagunitas Lumpy Gravy
Weyerbacher Blasphemy barrel-aged Quad
smuttynose ipa

Wow! It's cool trying all these beers, but truthfully it can be a bit much. Most of them seem to blur together in my mind. Hmm, I wonder why. There were a few that stood out to me: Alaska Barleywine 2007, Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale and Laurelwood Moose and Squirrel RIS.

PS - I am not complaining. And I will be there next month.

2 comments:

assurbanipaul said...

I've always thought the Austin BA tastings include a bit too many, but I get crucified any time I say so on BA.

A well-managed tasting should include no more than about 10-12 beers, IMO. More than that is just padding the stats.

Machuca said...

I agree, but is more of free-for-all "tasting." Meant to be a good time, not taken too seriously. Very laid back.

About 3/4 of the way through the advocation starts slipping. Still fun.