Tuesday, February 9, 2010

South Austin Beer Search #1

We recently moved down to South Austin. The last two years we've lived up north, a hop, skip and a jump from Draught House and Flying Saucer. And a quick zip downtown to Gingerman. When I say south, I mean wayyy south. I was worried. Worried good beer would be hard to find. And that is what this little series is about. Our first exploration was to Red's Porch.



It was Saturday night and the place was jammed packed. They had a pretty decent tap selection. Something for everyone - even beer dorks.



NXNW Pale Ale?? They had it. Someone explain to me why they are allowed to have this. I am not complaining, I just thought this was not possible, beer-law-wise.



My Yakima Twilight. We also had a Green Flash IPA and Brooklyn Lager.

The food was pretty good too. My Border Burger was spicy as hell. Sofia liked her Chicken Fried Chicken, but her sides were soaked in garlic.

We will be back.

4 comments:

ben said...

they have the NXNW beer because they are owned by the same people - davis tucker is the head honcho of both.

Sean said...

I too recently moved waaaay south and I've been having the same dilemma. Red's Porch was next on my list to check out as a possible beer joint at least in the southerly direction. The only other place that is further south was BJs Brewhouse. The beer at BJs was actually pretty respectable (apparently it's brewed by St Arnolds based on BJs recipes). However, the atmosphere was very franchise restauranty.

I'm hoping that someday there will be a flying saucer or Gingerman south, but I'm not holding my breath...

Anonymous said...

it's only "sorta" because they're owned by the same people.

it's really because the ones (beers) you'll see at Red's that look like they're from NXNW are contract brewed.

damn TABC laws!

Anonymous said...

ok, here's the real info. NxNW beers are being brewed by the Brewers from North by Northwest on the equipment at Independence Brewing. Same Brewers, Same Recipe, Same Beer. Trust me, I know. DST