Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hops & Grain Tasting



Beer Town Austin beat me to the punch with this one. Whatever. I stole the above picture from their website. Hops & Grain had us over to try some of their homebrews, which they plan on scaling up once the brewery is open. And just as Beer Town Austin imported his notes straight from his iphone, I am going to give you the straight dope directly from my notepad:
Alt
It was like a malt/hop battle. Dry hopped with Saaz and it shows, or should I say it smells like it. It is light drinking, but no light bodied.

Schwartz
Good roast and smoke rolling around in there. Finishes clean. Super dark, black (duh). Zesty and clean.

Pale Ale
Citrus hop aroma and flavor. Some DMS, but not off-putting.

Red
Hoppy and bitter. I really like this hoppy red. Malty finish, but bitterness stays around.

Hoppy Brown
Gnashing hops. Piney. Some milkiness. I feel like this would be a great leaping point for great variations. Additions of cherry would be "tasty."
If I had to rank them from my favorite to least favorite, it would look like this:

1. Red
2. Schwartz
3. Alt
4. Hoppy Brown
5. Pale Ale

*Alt only slightly edged out the Brown

Thanks guys.

No comments: