Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shiner Smokehaus - UPDATED

Has anyone tried it? I bought a sixpack yesterday. Yet to enjoy one. My mother in law had one. I asked her if it was "hammy" or like "bacon." "No, why?" was her response. To me, this did not bode well for Smokehaus. I am planning on having one with Schlotzsky's today. It BETTER be good.

**UPDATE: Now I can say I have a favorite Shiner beer. This one fits easily in that spot. Light smoke aroma and flavor works well with this beer. It is not nearly as smoky as Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier, but that was to be expected I guess. Super drinkable, refreshing. CLICHE WARNING: Perfect for a hot Texas summer day, bbq-ing of course. I was so impressed with this beer, I am going to go back to HEB to pick up the twelve pack (10.99).

6 comments:

hiikeeba said...

Keep us posted. It hasn't reached the Hill Country yet.

bonita sarita said...

I picked up a six pack over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Very mellow smoke taste (I didn't pick up on the pork undertones) I look forward to trying it again with some bbq.

Kristina Phelps said...

I like this new brew. My boyfriend, however, feels its a little too smokey. I have to keep the hefeweizen as my favorite Shiner.

Jim Miculka said...

I had my first Smokehaus here in Weimar, TX yesterday and it has moved up to my favourite Shiner Brew. It will fill the fridge and travel cooler this summer.

Unknown said...

This is an amazing summer beer. I hope it stays in their regular lineup. The smokiness is mild and there's a nice citrus tang to it. You gotta dig the packaging, to round it off.

Anonymous said...

I just had a Shiner Smokehaus and it tasted like they used Shiner Bock to scrub down the grill behind the brewery and then they put the leftovers into a bottle. There wasn't a hint of mesquite, it tasted like liquid smoke and brisket in a bottle. This coming from a person that appreciates a dark beer with flavor. This is definitely an acquired taste for a beer.