Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Not Drinking Sucks

Remember last week when I said I had stopped drinking beer for a month or two to lose a few pounds. Yeah, that's over with.

I did not last through Thursday - I had to get some of that Ruination cask at Flying Saucer and then we zipped over to Draught House for a glass of Allagash Curieux. I have cut back a lot though. And because I am enjoying a beer here and there, I've decided to start swimming before work. So far I've gone two days straight! That is a big deal for me.

Have no fear, this is temporary. I could never keep this up forever. Well maybe, I'll see how I feel in September. Till then drink one for me.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I went through a personal challenge last year to not only lose weight but to still enjoy 1 beer a day during the process. For about 8 weeks that led up to the GABF last year I went on a major exercise kick. I dropped from 205 down to 185 in 8 weeks. Sadly, during the winter months and into Spring, I gained all that weight back. I didn't slow down my beer a day either. So while it's nice to lose the weight, the real trick is to incorporate it into your everyday life and keep the weight off. I'm back on the exercise kick now but am cutting back a bit on the beer.

corbey said...

When I was a younger man and living in Austin, my personal rule for exercising and drinking was that I had to run a mile for every beer I drank! It worked out pretty well for quite a while, but when I got older I kept drinking and stopped running, and now I'm spreading. Good luck!

Steve said...

I feel your pain. I've also cut back on my beer intake in an effort to get in better shape. However, beer surrounds my life, so I knew I could never stop completely. Moderation is key, nothing wrong with having a beer now and then. The one big drawback is the lack of content for my blog since I'm not trying different beers or bars as often.